Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The power of spinach.

I wrote this article this mornng and just had to share it with you. Enjoy and think of what your spinach is. Read on and that statement will make perfect sense honest!

I wish I could say that I was away on some exotic holiday sipping cocktails on the beach being massaged by the sunshine and the tropical breeze, instead I have to admit to being lost in the lupus fog.

In another battle with the infamous mr lupus he threw a punch that left me winded and on the canvas and whilst I struggled to get to my feet the bell rang to signal the end of round one. I dragged myself back to my corner where my supporters worked hard to revive me and to remind me that whilst that was not a good round the fight was not over and I still had a lot more in me to come back and win. I don’t know if it was the blows to the head or my now blurred vision that did it but my hearing and sight were affected and whilst I could hear their words and could see their lips moving I could make no real connection with what was being said and their real meaning was lost on me and even after the bell had been rung for the next round to begin I just sat there as if super glued to the spot.

Round after round the effects of round one kept coming back to haunt me and the world around me seemed to get darker and darker and to make matters worst the arrogance and smugness of mr lupus burned down on my back causing me even more discomfort and pain. Was this the end of the valiant fighter, the woman who believed that through God’s grace and mercy she could fight anything mr lupus had to throw her way? Was I lost in the darkness forever? I began to think so, I didn’t have the energy or strength anymore and I didn’t know where or how to get it back, I felt despondent, this encourager and motivator was deflated the wind had been forcibly removed from my sails and I was stuck.

It was then it happened, mr lupus began to get complacent and as a gap in the darkness began to appear it created a space for an unknown light to shine through and give me just enough space to begin to breathe again and as this began to happen a form of clarity that I had not known before came to my mind.

I remembered seeing Popeye the cartoon as a child where in times of crisis and attack he would reach for his trusted tin of spinach. I never understood the significance of the spinach before but now I could see its true value and power and what was even better was that I remembered my own tin of spinach stored in the back of the cupboard. Why had I not thought about this before? (I think it was probably because I don’t actually like spinach so was unable to look beyond that to appreciate its worth but that was then) as I struggled feeling my way through the darkness to get to the cupboard I noticed a renewed pep in my step, a lightening of the heavy weight that had been keeping me down and all that before opening the can.

I reached for the spinach and opened the can and tilted my head to the heavens so that it would have an easy ride down my throat. As I felt the coolness of the substance in my throat I began to understood why Popeye needed spinach to feel stronger and more powerful. It was because through the spinach he was no longer operating in his strength alone. He had a greater power backing him up and supporting him. I too had that power but it was only now that I was accessing it. Immediately after downing my can of spinach I searched for pen and paper, I had to write. I allowed the pen to flow and this is what I wrote.

My child you are not alone, I have come as a light into the world, that whosoever believes on me should not live in darkness. Know that my grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in your weakness. When times of trouble come (and they will) acknowledge your infirmities in the safe knowledge that the power of Christ will rest upon you. Remember that although you may feel you are troubled on every side, you are not distressed; you maybe perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed I have given you the spirit of power, love and a sound mind and I love you just as you are.(Taken from John 12:46, 2 Corinthians 12: 9, John 3:16, 2 Corinthians 4:8-10, 2 Tim 1:7)

I never realised that spinach could be so good. I read the words I had written over and over again and realised that today was a new day, fresh with no mistakes and I could take on the might of mr lupus because with my army backing me up I was going to win!

My spinach is The Bible and God but that may not be what it is for you so what's your spinach, the thing that is going to give you renewed strength and power?

No comments: